Thursday, October 1, 2015

Crock Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls

School has been going really well.  Cheer practice has started, we are already starting Unit 3 for math, and it has been so much fun getting to know my students.  I even got the chance to chaperone a field trip to a college fair with the juniors.  They were super into it and it was really great to see.  I love that I get to help them out and be part of the whole picking out colleges experience.  

I have also been busy with wedding planning, as the days count down, we are starting to get more and more into the smaller details.  This means lots of decision making, which is not always my strong suit.  However, it also means lots of fun and excitement which is what I am focusing on. 

And on top of all that, the marathon is right around the corner! I have 4 training runs left and 11 days until the big race!  I am super pumped, but also starting to get nervous! 

Now, for this recipe.  It was one of the easiest meals I had ever made and it made for some really great school lunches.  All you have to do is dump all the stuff into your crock pot, wait, and then enjoy! Can it get any easier?  Plus, it was really tasty.  I would put some of the chicken mixture into my school pyrex container, sprinkle a little cheese on top, and then add some avocado slices if I was feeling really fancy.  Yum! 

Crock Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls
(adapted from The Kitchn)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds chicken breast
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock (I used vegetable stock because it was what I already had in the fridge)
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp salt
2 tsp cumin
1 cup brown rice
1 15 oz can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
Optional: Salsa, Guacamole, Avocado, Sour Cream, Shredded Cheese, Greek Yogurt, Green Onion...etc.

Directions:
1. Wash chicken and pat dry.  Place in the crock pot.  Put tomatoes, 1/2 cup stock, chili powder, salt, and cumin in as well.  Cook on low for 4 hours.
2. After about 4 hours, add in the black beans, brown rice, and corn.  Cook on low for another 3-4 hours.
3. Serve with a little melted cheese, guacamole, salsa, and sour cream or greek yogurt! It's really up to you!

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment