Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

I just submitted my last final and my classes are over! My grad classes that is...My high school classes are done as of June 4th.  I am so excited to be done with these grad classes I can't even explain.  It is a great feeling and now I can officially start the countdown to the end of the school year and the start of camp!  I am going to be working as a camp director again and I am really excited about it.  I can't wait for another summer filled with art projects, playing on playgrounds, and going to waterparks!  

I made this super yummy macaroni and "cheese" recipe recently and it has been on my mind ever since.  I have seen a ton of recipes that sub out cheese for some sort of veggie to make the dish a little lighter and healthier.  This recipe uses mashed butternut squash mixed with some cheese to create a delicious and creamy "cheese" sauce.  You would never know that there are veggies in this!  Bri and I had this for dinner, but then there were enough leftovers for me to have lunch at school the next day too! 

I had a squash lying around so I decided to experiment with a new recipe.  I wanted to make something quick so I went with a stove-top style recipe.  I cooked some pasta, cooked/mashed the squash, and came up with this awesome cheese sauce.  You can use your cheeses of choice, but I went with some sharp cheddar and gorgonzola.  It was awesome!  I can't wait to try other variations of this dish in the future! 

Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese 

Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

Ingredients:
12 oz whole wheat macaroni noodles
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups skim milk
8 oz of cheddar and gorgonzola (4 oz each), shredded/cubed
1 tsp hot sauce (or more to taste)
1 tsp mustard (or more to taste)

Directions:1. Make the pasta according to directions to al dente, drain and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil over medium in a pot and place butternut squash in.  Let cook for 5 minutes or so then add the salt, pepper, cinnamon, and vegetable broth.  Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until squash can be easily pierced with a fork.  Using two forks or a potato masher, mash the squash until you have a smooth paste.  Pour in the milk and cheeses and mix until cheese melts.  Stir in the hot sauce and mustard and season with more salt and pepper if desired.  Pour the the pasta and stir to coat.

Enjoy :)

1 comment:

  1. nice blog
    Hello
    check out my blog http://myphpinformation.blogspot.in/ sugget me.

    ReplyDelete