Monday, April 13, 2015

Hot Chocolate Run

A while back, I did a series called "Half Marathon Mondays."  I was training for a half marathon and decided to log my progress as well as any other work out shenanigans I was up to.  Ever since running the Chicago Marathon back in October, I have continued to keep up my running and I want to share with you all my amazing experiences.  Reading running stories continues to motivate me to stay healthy and strong and I hope that people out there find that here!  The best way to keep up my running and stay motivated, has been signing up for other races with friends.  The Hot Chocolate Run was one of those races.




This race was incredible.  There were two options, the 5K or the 15K.  I don't think I've ever heard of any other 15K so I decided to do it.  Plus, after running 26.2 miles, 9.3 didn't seem so bad.  In fact, I barely trained.  This was not my brightest idea, but it ended up working out ok.  I ran the race with two other friends and we all finished with about a 10 minute mile pace.  Plus, along the way, the water stations also had treats like marshmallows, tootsie rolls, and pieces of chocolate!  At the finish, we got medals as well as a chocolate fondue goody bag with, of course, hot chocolate.  It was pretty darn adorable.

After the race, we celebrated with brunch at D4.  If you are ever in Chicago and staying in the downtown area, you should try this place for brunch.  It is a huge space and I have never had to wait very long and the food is just amazing!  We also had their signature bloody mary and it was fantastic. I can't think of a better way to celebrate a long run then an amazing meal!

Since that race, I have kept up a consistent running schedule.  During the week, I run three times.  I'll do two shorter runs (3 or 4 miles) and one longer run (5 or 6).  Then, on Saturdays, I always try to run at least 8 miles.  I am also going to a Zumba class once a week and trying to incorporate more strength training into my life.  This is where I am struggling because I just don't enjoy it as much while I'm doing it.  If anyone out there has any suggestions it would be much appreciated! After all, my wedding is on its way and I want to be in tip top shape :)

No comments:

Post a Comment