Sunday, April 12, 2015

Deconstructed Spring Lasagna

I have been promising big things for this blog for a while now, and now it is time to start following through on that! I miss blogging as much as I did in college and I am going to work on balancing my time better between school, working out, and cooking.  These are my favorite things and I want to make sure I give every single one attention! Any bloggers out there with tips on how to balance all of this?

Anyways, in Chicago, it is always exciting when those 60 degree temps finally roll around.  Everyone starts walking around in shorts and flip flops!  I know 60 isn't "hot," but after what feels like an eternity of winter, it is pretty exciting.  Yesterday, I went for an 8 mile run along the lakeshore path and it was just amazing to be outside and not feel sharp pains in my face as the wind hits me.  Plus, this weather means that summer is really right around the corner!

In honor of this amazing spring weather we are enjoying, I am sharing a delicious recipe for a Spring Lasagna.  I was inspired by How Sweet It Is and I was excited to try a lasagna without all the layering work.  This "lasagna" is actually deconstructed.  Your just throw everything into a pan all "willy nilly" and cook it just like that!  Also, I didn't use lasagna noodles, but you definitely can!  You can use whatever fillings your want.  I went with some vegetarian options so that Bri could enjoy, but meat lovers could do this as well!

Deconstructed Spring "Lasagna"



Ingredients:
12 oz whole wheat pasta
1 onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup asparagus, chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup packed baby spinach
12 oz light fontina
1 cup shredded light mozzarella
1 cup pasta sauce (Your favorite)
salt and pepper
olive oil

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cook pasta noodles according to directions until al dente.  Drain and set aside.
3. In a large cast iron pan, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.  Add in the garlic and onion.  Cook until onion starts to become translucent and add in the mushrooms and asparagus.  Cook for about 5 minutes.  Add in the spinach and cook until spinach wilts.
4.  Pour in the pasta sauce and about half of the fontina cheese.  Stir to combine with the veggies.  Then, stir in the noodles.
5. Top everything with scoops of the rest of the fontina cheese and sprinkle with mozzarella.   Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes so that the cheese becomes all melty.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment